DTC 101 Reading Response 1

What I found most interesting in this reading was the way that the author related the way we look at art as having a "message" or meaning, to the way machines and technology have a "message" that alters human affairs in some way. The way I understood this was that in the same way a paintbrush and canvas can be used to create an infinite number of messages, the mediums of an electric light bulb or an airplane can be used in a myriad of ways to alter the lives of humans. I thought this was a relatively simple point to understand, but I had a little bit more trouble deciphering the significance of this knowledge. The author points to companies being able to improve their business by knowing the message of their product, rather than just its physical characteristics. I agree with that sentiment completely, and think it could be especially useful when applied to marketing, by focusing on how a product affects society at large, you can create a very effective advertisement that appeals to your customers. However, McLuhan, I have to admit, started to lose me when he got into the origins of the French and American revolutions. I couldn't really understand how this example related to the original point, and it seemed like a big leap in logic. Overall I found the reading to be pretty dry with some valuable and applicable pieces of information, however these pieces were easily lost among many quotes and anecdotes that didn't seem particularly relevant.

Comments

  1. Carson, you bring up a very valid argument here. I completely agree with you that art and its medium can be used to create an infinite number of messages that can alter human lives. I think the significance of this message is to bring to light the importance of a medium and how much power and meaning it holds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rush 212-232 Response

From the Origins of Interactive Art Response

Code of Best Practices Response