From the Origins of Interactive Art Response


The idea of “cyborg art” was absolutely fascinating to me and brings up many questions about today’s society and the way it is headed. With our continued reliance on technology, it makes you wonder how long it will be until we start to foray into making ourselves cyborgs of sorts. I recently saw an article about Neil Harbisson, a man born with colorblindness that surgically implanted an electronic eye in his head that allows him to ‘hear’ colors. I thought this was incredible, and after watching shows like Black Mirror that speculate on this subject, I wouldn’t be surprised if we start using cybernetic implants for medical or just everyday purposes. I also wonder how people might react to this and the questions it raises about ethics and humanity. If you were able to safely get an implant in your eye that allowed you to use it as some kind augmented reality lens, would you?

I was also surprised by the influence that performance art and happenings were able to have on future interactive artists such as Jeffrey Shaw and Lynn Hershman Leeson. It’s fascinating to think that these performances that took place in the 50’s and 60’s, when personal camcorders weren’t as prevalent, were able to be preserved and disseminated widely enough to reach and impact these artists.


Comments

  1. Carson,

    I found your response very interesting because I also wrote my response on the idea of "cyborg art." I didn't think about how we ourselves could become "cyborgs" of sorts through technological advances. That being said, I do believe that it is a very possible outcome as technology and medicine gets better and more efficient. To answer you question however, I think I would question the eye implant, but if life was actually better with it and they became as normal as iPhones, then sure, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I instantly think of the move I, Robot when I hear the term Cyborg Art. I've been following the recent news about the creation of "Atlas", a robot that is being created by Boston Dynamics that can now run, jump, a leap without losing any speed. It also detects objects in front of it and can adapt to the terrain around it. In 2017, Boston Dynamics created human-like skin that can be used to give robots a sense of touch and enable them to tell temperature changes as well. Now, if this doesn't scare the crap out of us right now, I'm sure it will someday. So in regards to your response, I can completely understand your fascination with cyborg art because I to and very curious to see what inventions will come in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your statement regarding the direction of our society. We will start to become machines as our bodies are unable to function properly. It is fascinating to see how a man is able to hear colors with an implanted eye. I have also seen Black Mirror, this shows could be predicting the direction of our society given the speed of our evolving technology. Organs could be electronic and more efficient than our organic organs which could eliminate the murder of innocent people for their organs. The implant could blur our reality, but it could also bring into another world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rush 212-232 Response

Code of Best Practices Response